[Asterisk-Dev] Asterisk channel variable access: a proposal

Wed Aug 18 17:07:33 MST 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-19 at 08:39, John Todd wrote:

> An alternate method would be to create an application, as has been
> suggested.  This may be more modular and require less patches to the
> "mainline" code (though that is a poor reason to choose one method
> over the other - "convenience of explanation and patching")

This could probably be done fairly easily (by someone else, not me :) by
doing the following:

Some common asterisk function where we can give it a 'path' like
/channels/SIP/john-26a8/callernum etc.. and it will return the value.

We also need the SNMP style requests to be able to do getnextvalue type
requests.

Finally, to actually make this function accessible to asterisk/external
progs, we need to have an application accessible from the dialplan,
(already suggested by someone else)
GetValue('/channels/SIP/john-26a8/callernum')

Also, for manager applications, we need a new manager Action
Action: GetValue

Once these two methods are implemented, we can then look at adding a
'thread' to asterisk which listens on the SNMP port, accepts the
request, and sends back the value... or listens using any other desired
protocol (HTTP/XML or something)....

Oh, also need the CLI command for GetValue....

Actually, if any major re-work would be required, then I would suggest
that all commands should be identical between all interfaces (dialplan,
CLI, manager).

Just my 0.02c worth...

Regards,
Adam