[Asterisk-Dev] Some Queries

Schaefer, Mark Mark.Schaefer at ONSTAR.com
Tue Aug 17 07:00:08 MST 2004

I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is this:

1)  You can download, modify and sell, using the available source code, but
you must also distribute (or make available) the source code, including your
modifications, with the copy you sell.  If that is not acceptable, you must
agree to commercial terms with Digium, which holds a separate, commercial
license for Asterisk (non-GPL).

2)  Asterisk should be able to do that pretty easily, with minor, if any,
modifications.  I've not implemented that so you may want to get some help
once you get started.  There is a billing log that would probably give you
all of that information.

3)  You have not given enough detail.  Asterisk works with T1, E1 and VoIP
and can give billing logs in all these cases.  In general, the call will
have to go through Asterisk in order to capture those details.  Asterisk is
not a separate reporting package that can be built onto an existing PBX
platform, therefore, it will either need to front or replace your existing
PBX in order to provide the call detail you want.

4)  Don't Know.  We have used it successfully in a lab setting as a switch,
but we do not do billing.

5)  You should take the commercial piece of this discussion to the
asterisk-biz list.

Mark Schaefer