[Asterisk-Dev] Asterisk channel variable access: a proposal

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Tue Aug 17 06:30:00 MST 2004

At 9:27 AM +0200 on 8/17/04, Holger Schurig wrote:
>  > Technically, it is possible to write a daemon that sits on a manager
>>  port and watches for all traffic it sees. Extracting channel data is
>>  then quite easy since you can basically execute any command from the
>>  manager interface.
>
>The python script "manager.py", which I wrote, does exactly this. It's
>opens a manager port and watches everything and updates internal
>representations of channels, registry and voicemail messages. Althought
>manager.py can execute commands, this is not really needed to get all
>channel status. You just have to sit, watch, parse and sometimes to
>rename things.
>
>manager.py is part of DeStar, but it works standalone as well.
>

>http://www.holgerschurig.de/destar.html or
>http://www.holgerschurig.de/files/destar/ for downloads of snapshots

Holger -
   It sounds like that manager.py is useful in certain circumstances,
but it does not easily allow integration of these variables into the
diaplan, and it also doesn't have the ability to see most of the
variables that I describe which are currently reported with 'show
channel <chan-name>'.   I don't know if you mentioned this script as
a solution for the idea which I proposed, but if so, I think they're
not solving the same problem even though some of the features look
similar.

JT