[Asterisk-Dev] bugs.digium.com ...and what or who is "housekeeping" ????

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Sat Aug 14 10:22:59 MST 2004

If you've issued a bug report and nothing happens for a while - no patches, no discussion,
no answers, no log files - bug marshals move in and activate the bug report, thus sending
out a reminder to everyone that is involved in it or is monitoring the report. In those
cases, we call ourselves "housekeeping" - we are going through bugs.digium.com, trying to
find old reports and make sure that they do not fade away in a corner under a mat by the
door to the closet. We are not adding information, just poking around.

* What happens after a housekeeping call?
If we get no answer, no further information or no reaction a week after a housekeeping call,
we decide whether we should raise the issue or just close the bug. It depends on the
severity of the bug report. If it's cosmetic, or more of a feature request,
we will close it.
We are not always right in closing a bug, but it most often wakes people up...

* How do I reopen a closed bug report?
--------------------------------------
A bug can easily be reopened! Either by the person reporting the problem or by a bug marshal.
Find us on IRC - we're usually in #asterisk-bugs or #asterisk-dev

After 1.0 is out, we will go through all closed bug reports and feature requests, trying
to sort out if there's anything we have to go through again.

* What am I expected to do?
---------------------------
If you are getting messages from "housekeeping" - find us on the IRC or respond in
the bug report. Please do not wait. It's important to keep the motion forward.

* Why are you doing this?
At this moment, with rc2 out, it's important that we all react to bug reports, working as
a community to make sure we clear out as many bugs as possible. We need to keep the bug
tracker alive, not going stale. We need to make sure that Asterisk stays in leadership,
as the #1 Open Source MultiProtocol PBX. If we loose focus now, 1.0 will be released next
year or the year after that. No one wants that to happen.

Happy bug-squashing!
/Olle
with the bug-marshal hat on