[Asterisk-Dev] CVS HEAD (20040807) jitter buffer questions

steve at daviesfam.org steve at daviesfam.org
Wed Aug 11 15:14:26 MST 2004

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 steve at daviesfam.org wrote:

> The same principle applies to the jitter buffer.  Asterisk servers in the
> middle of a call do not do de-jittering, they leave it all to the end
> machines.  Or, at least, that is so once native-bridging kicks in.
> Again, the jitter buffer on an intermediate machine will be used whilst
> the call is establishing but will stop being used once the call is
> established.  So I wouldn't expect meaningful jitter figures reported for
> calls being native bridged on this box.  Perhaps again we should hide them
> and mark N/A or something?

I should have done an executive summary:

Where a channel is native bridged to another iax2 channel:

 1) Lag is not measured and will usually show 0ms.  Any other number is an
    old measurement from the start of the call

 2) The jitter buffer on this machine is not used.  Any
    jitter/jitterbuffer measurement shown is left over from the start of
    the call.

Steve