[Asterisk-Dev] VoIP SPAM, what's next ?

Soren Rathje asterisk at lolle.org
Tue Aug 10 23:33:38 MST 2004

Duane wrote:
> Soren Rathje wrote:
>
>> Next thing will probably be a sbl.e164.org service to block spammers
>> like we do with email... :-)
>
> Actually we don't need to do that, using normal NAPTR record can be
> used instead.
>
> We know the IP the call is coming from, we can find out from the NAPTR
> where calls normally go to based on the phone number, if the 2 don't
> match filter it.

I see your point, but that would require everyone to register with e164.org (or similar), which is fine when the entire world has transformed into VoIP. But until then, there's going to be a lot of false hits using your method.

I generally feel blacklists are easier to maintain than whitelists as they are less restrictive and if these blacklists are shared (like SBL's) we will all benefit from it. The question is though, is this the right way to go ??

/Soren