[Asterisk-Dev] VoIP SPAM, what's next ?

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Tue Aug 10 10:54:57 MST 2004

"Soren Rathje" <asterisk at lolle.org> wrote:

> Gang,
>
> Do anyone have a clue on how they do this ??
>
> "QOVIA FILES PATENTS FOR VOICE SPAM BLOCKING TECHNOLOGY"
> http://www.qovia.com/company/news/06.28.2004_voip_spam_patent_app_final.htm

Ohh !!

If they actually think they're going to get a patent, I have prior art!

I've been talking about spam filtering over VoIP for months!  I could easily
produce half a dozen witnesses who have discussed this with me this year.

Is it worth raising a stink to get the patent blocked?

> "Qovia ready to take on VoIP spam"
> http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2004/071204qovia.html
>
> Next thing will probably be a sbl.e164.org service to block spammers
> like we do with email... :-)

Exactly!

> Hmm.. Imagine a built-in reporting tool in Asterisk. Hit **666**# and
> Asterisk will report the IP address of the caller (and possibly also
> the CID but it can be forged as we all know) on-line and in real-time
> to a SBL list for immediate blocking and further processing...

Yup, was thinking about that as well!  Also considered stealing the tele-
zapper idea.  When someone calls, send a singnal that makes dialers think
there's nobody there, if the line hangs up, record the phone # as a
spammer!

> Any takers ??

Sure.  As soon as I get companies to quit screwing me so I can pay my bills,
I'll get right on it.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies