[Asterisk-Dev] UK Caller ID and cable company PSTN lines

Conroy, Lawrence (SMTP) lwc at roke.co.uk
Tue Aug 10 08:56:05 MST 2004

Hi David,
   you have my sympathies. For telephony, the UK falls into BT and that
patchwork
of franchises known as cable providers.

If you really truely need to get Caller ID in the UK into Asterisk,
then your best
bet is to dump the Comedians and to get a phone line from BT
(distasteful though
that is). You're half way there with the X100P - do not try this with
the later and
greater cards, as they don't play with CDS and I'm not holding my
breath.

However, if you want to try this out with your local Cable Provider
(allegedly),
then IIRC there are two main systems that were used in those franchises
where
they did provide Caller Display/CLI.
Some of those cable franchises that do provide CLI do it U.S. style -
thus
if you're in one of these franchises, *and* they haven't upgraded their
Exchange,
then the plain vanilla (i.e. Yankee) version of * should work.

If it doesn't, then...

You may be in one of other the franchises where they tried for a common
"cable
standard" which was, I believe, to use Bellcore concepts, but to use
V.23 instead
of 202 to signal the data (thus guaranteeing that it was incompatible
with the rest
of the Universe). This is going to involve part of the "UK callerid"
hack to set up
detection using v.23.
You can leave out the history buffer stuff, as the Yankee approach is
for data to
arrive after the first ring; thus the zap channel doesn't need to look
at what has
already happened (by peeking at the history buffer).

Non-trivial, but doable with bits of the existing UK callerid patches.
Good Luck.

   Lawrence