[Asterisk-Dev] minumum linux hardware-less than 100 mb

Steve Kennedy steve-asterisk at gbnet.net
Wed Aug 4 10:07:39 MST 2004

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 10:35:16AM -0400, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:

> On Wednesday 04 August 2004 00:47, John Todd wrote:
> > So, the question is, who has compiled Asterisk for the WRT54G's?  I
> > know it can be done; a stripped and trimmed down binary should fit.
> > The real trick would be to figure out how to get a pseudo-Zap channel
> > hacked into one, so that trunking could be used, in a SIP-to-IAX2
> > condenser manner.  I've had this idea for a long time, and I'm sure
> > others have experimented with this, but someone should fess up and
> > post their experiences publicly, along with some files.  I think that
> > the WRT54G would be a great mini-PBX, even if it can't store CDRs
> > (well, at least not without burning the flash out.)
> Well I wasn't suggesting running Asterisk on a WRT54G, only using the build
> environment to make a small x86 distro.  In theory it should work though so
> long as it either has the right kind of USB (unlikely) or an RTC, or if
> someone wrote a timer driver for one of the processor's embedded timers..

The WRT54G runs a MIPS CPU, the G has 16M of RAM and 4 or 8M of Flash
(v1.0 8M, v1.1 and 2.0 4M) V1/1.1 125MHz, v2.0 200MHz), the GS has 32M of
RAM and 8M of Flash 200MHz MIPS CPU. The GS has also integrated USB but
not actually available (outside the chip).

The Linksys GPL stuff comes with a complete toolchain to build from a
Linux x86 environment.

Steve

--
NetTek Ltd Phone/Fax +44-(0)20 7483 2455
SMS steve-epage (at) gbnet.net [body] gpg 1024D/468952DB 2001-09-19