[Asterisk-Dev] RE: MYSQL application

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Tue Aug 3 02:43:45 MST 2004

On Monday 02 August 2004 21:46, Kevin Walsh wrote:
> ODBC is horribly inefficient.  I wouldn't go near it.  Perhaps a
> more generic interface would be better.  Something like the
> following:

How hard will even a busy 8-PRI box hit the DB?  I can't imagine ODBC being
less efficient than accessing a large flat file!  I will come forward right
now and say I don't have any hard numbers myself (hence my reason for
asking), but let's not talk efficiencies on a stable, proven DB abstraction
system until they start to become the bottleneck...

> The various "database drivers" could be implemented as loadable
> modules, much like the codecs and applications etc.

Isn't this pretty much how ODBC works anyway?  You're just moving the
abstraction to another place (and having to write it yourself now, too).

Regards,
Andrew