[Asterisk-Dev] AES voice encryption for IAX2

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Fri Apr 16 14:07:29 MST 2004

As I hinted before, there are coders that promised to look into the project, that's
why the AES source is within the Asterisk CVS. I don't know the status of their efforts.

However, I'm aware that there are legal problems within the US (oh no, not again :-)
that several parties are trying to sort out.

I can't believe those are impossible to overcome, since there's open source code out for
SRTP in at least one repository. However, we don't want programmers involved in this
project to be responsible in ways beyond contributing to Asterisk.

A few years ago, makíng encryption available worldwide was comparable with illegal
export of nuclear weapons. I don't believe it's the same situation now, but with the
recent movements of several authorities, I understand the need to protect our
developers and community from damage.

/Olle