[Asterisk-Dev] Asterisk Codecs Extension

Alex Volkov avolkov at bpvn.com
Wed Apr 14 00:20:11 MST 2004

Asterisk Codecs ExtensionPedro,

Simply look at any codec code in asterisk/codecs/. I suggest codec_ulaw.c or codec_alaw.c. The bulk of both of these is the necessary interfacing code to make whatever-generic-codec work with asterisk, and the actual conversions from xlaw to PCM and back are simple 2-liner loops. Once you understand the basic structure of an * codec, look at codec_g723_1.c for an example on how to handle a whatever-generic-codec that is an opaque library.
Model your new * codec on those, as I think those provide the best examples of an adaptation/abstraction layer.

Cheers!
Alex.