[Asterisk-Dev] Re: 802.11b a contraindication?

Duane digium at aus-biz.com
Tue Apr 13 23:56:03 MST 2004

Olle E. Johansson wrote:
> Some AP's claim they prioritize voice - I don't know how. Symbol have said
> that for a long time, and they supported H.323 in their equipment. There's
> a new QoS standard for 802.11, but I don't know how that works with various
> protocols or equipments. Check 802.11e.

The way I think Cisco was planning to priorities traffic was using VLANs
that cheat basically...

With the 802.11b timing there is a small slice (1 or 7uS i think, too
long ago) that isn't currently being used for anything, was set aside
for QoS or something in the original spec but never used later on, so
what they do is add this slice to voice traffic's timing to give it a
higher chance of beating other clients from transmitting...

--
Best regards,
  Duane

http://happysnapper.com.au - Sell your photos over the net!