[Asterisk-Dev] TE405P *hardware* question

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Tue Apr 13 12:05:03 MST 2004

Thanks for the reply.

> As I checked out Xilinx's datasheets CPLD used for TE410P's PCI bridge is
> Spartan II-E family which is maximum 3.3V capable, while regular Spartan-II
> family (which is, I think, used for TE405P) is supports both 3.3 and 5V for
> I/O pins, but requires different termination for each voltage. I don't have
> TE405P, but as I remember there was a sort of problems with some chipsets.
> May be TE410P have ones too but they are not reproducible because "ugly"
> chipset (or motherboard vendors) isn't support 3.3V for this chipset.

http://direct.xilinx.com/bvdocs/publications/ds001_2.pdf

Page 30 says that it can indeed use 3.3V or 5V for PCI, and that the clamps
need to be different for 5V tolerant systems (which the TE405P is), so that
much should work...

The next page goes on to say that the standard doesn't require use of Vref of
board term voltage, only 3.3V on Vcco.  Now it goes on to say that I/O
configured for PCI 33MHz 5V standard are also 5V tolerant...  we know all
that since the card is a 5V card.  :-)

Page 43 gives the PCI 3V and 5V buffer Voltage specifications -- it looks like
there should be no issues whatsoever, I believe that the Vih/il and Voh/ol
specs are acceptable for both 3V and 5V systems.  Vcco does not change for 5V
or 3V operation.

The pinout tables are a little confusing for me, but with the information
gathered so far there shouldn't be any obvious problem with sawing the key
out for 3V operation.  I would still like to hear from Digium as to whether
the IOREF is connected to the correct place on the PCI connector, and what
the unstuffed voltage regulator was to be used for and its part number.

Regards,
Andrew