[Asterisk-Dev] chan_sccp move from lambda-solutions.de to SF.NET

James Courtier-Dutton James at superbug.demon.co.uk
Tue Apr 13 10:50:25 MST 2004

Kevin Williams wrote:
> Look at Nvidia's graphics drivers for Linux.  They are most certainly
> not GPL and are distributed as a Linux kernel module in binary format.
> That module is meant to be linked into the Linux kernel and the Linux
> kernel is GPL.
>
> I went ahead and did a little digging and it seems that even Linus
> thinks it's a major gray area.

GPL seems to live in a gray area.

Take the example of asterisk, which is supposed to be GPL.
Digium can release it under a proprietory license. They might do some
special enharnancement to the "proprietory" version of asterisk, e.g. G.729.
Is this enharnancement to the "proprietory" version also and
enharnancement to the "GPL" version, and thus should it be GPL?

Cheers
James