[Asterisk-Dev] chan_sccp move from lambda-solutions.de to SF.NET

Kevin Williams kwilliams at applianz.com
Tue Apr 13 09:54:17 MST 2004

Look at Nvidia's graphics drivers for Linux.  They are most certainly
not GPL and are distributed as a Linux kernel module in binary format.
That module is meant to be linked into the Linux kernel and the Linux
kernel is GPL.

I went ahead and did a little digging and it seems that even Linus
thinks it's a major gray area.  Everyone seems to feel that if you wrote
a kernel module specifically to work with the Linux kernel (as opposed
to porting a driver originally written for Windows or something), then
you should be tied to the GPL.  There's no legal precedent though, and
my quick search didn't find any comments from the GNU people...

So, it seems that community sentiment on the matter is that a module
written specifically for a GPL'd program should itself be GPL'd.  Which
means chan_sccp probably should be GPL'd since Asterisk is GPL'd.

--
Kevin Williams
  Senior Developer