[Asterisk-Dev] Client development...

Brad Waite brad at wcubed.net
Sat Sep 27 09:59:49 MST 2003

"I've had alls I can stands, and I can't stands no more."

Boudewijn van Ingen wrote:

> I'm glad you admit to be an inexperienced software developer. In my own
> experience of over twenty years as a professional programmer, I have
> learned that the actual programming language you use isn't half as
> important as the structural design of the project. And as far as I can
> see, whatever little 'design'  there is in the "iaxclient" library is
> just about begging for the application of C++, or some other object
> oriented programming language (however scary that may sound to you).

I'm glad you admit to being an arrogant software developer.

> And you've just demonstrated that you don't have sufficient knowledge
> about that, by assuming that C++ prevents anyone from coding in C (or
> any other language for that matter). You are apparently unaware that C++
> is a superset of C, and thus can't be a 'limitation' to anyone who codes
> in C.

And you've just demonstrated that you don't have sufficient tact to work with
others, by coming here and assuming you can say that everything that's been done
so far is junk.  You are apparently unaware that working with other human beings
sometimes requires humility, and thus is a limitation to someone (like yourself)
who thinks their way *has* to be the right way.

> But I didn't come here for an arguement about programming languages. I
> have indeed better things to do.

Yes - telling yourself how great you are.

> You're afraid of being "extinguished" by *me*? Poor sod.

Humility is always extinguished by hubris.  (At least in this life.)

> If you can provide me with a copy of the iax-library that plugs in
> seemlessly with Borland's development environment (you might also try
> Pascal or assembly), you would have solved my problem. As it is, all I
> can find are ports that have about 300% overhead, and still leak memory,
> as well as GPF'ing all the time...

Okay, Mr. "I've got 20 years of programming under my belt", please list for us
at least 10% of all open- or close-source projects that will plug in seemlessly
to another cross-platform dev environment.  Y'know what?  You can't.  They are
*very* few and far between and you know it.  So to say that IAXlib should plug
seemlessly into Borland *when that wasn't one of the design goals* is moronic.
You think it should have been one of the design goals?  Be my guest.  You're
welcome to your opinion.  But since you didn't get involved in this project
until this point, you don't have a right to come here and bash the hard work
that's been put in so far.  You want to improve IAXlib?  Go right ahead - that's
truly part of the OS ideals.

> Thanks for your lack of help, anyway.You've been a great advertisement
> for the mentality of the open source community...

No, thank *you* for your lack of humility.  You've been a great advertisement
for the mentality of the self-important community.

Boudewijn, please not that I did not get into a pissing contest about which
language is more appropriate for IAXlib.  In *my* 20+ years of coding, I've
found that there's usually more than 1 way to skin a cat, and a whole bunch of
ways to fillet one.  My point is that your arrogance is unwelcome.  Your
thoughts, ideas and though-provoking ideas are most welcome, but please render
them with kindness.

Brad Waite