[Asterisk-Dev] Client development...

Boudewijn van Ingen bogie at xs4all.nl
Fri Sep 26 16:28:38 MST 2003

At 02:02 AM 26-09-2003 -0500, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
 >On Thursday 25 September 2003 19:44, Boudewijn van Ingen wrote:
 >> At 04:45 PM 25-09-2003 -0700, TC wrote:
 >>  >>I'm an experienced developer and have looked at the existing ports
 >>  >> of the original code. But for several reasons,
 >>  >
 >>  >the iaxclient.sf.net has nice working iax lib that is portable..
 >>  >is there some fundamental issue that could not be worked out on
 >>  > that project
 >>  >
 >>  >>I have decided that it would be
 >>  >>best for my needs to make a completely different design of the
 >>  >>iax-libraries, this time in c++, and hopefully remaining somewhat
 >>  >> portable.
 >>  >
 >>  >just seems a shame to start a new attempt rather than building on
 >>  > the effort
 >>
 >> It would seem that way to any inexperienced software developer.
 >
 >Actually, no.  It would seem to be more difficult, because you're
 >limiting yourself to coding only in C++.  This is perhaps a reason not
 >to code in C++.

I'm glad you admit to be an inexperienced software developer. In my own
experience of over twenty years as a professional programmer, I have
learned that the actual programming language you use isn't half as
important as the structural design of the project. And as far as I can see,
whatever little 'design'  there is in the "iaxclient" library is just about
begging for the application of C++, or some other object oriented
programming language (however scary that may sound to you).

And you've just demonstrated that you don't have sufficient knowledge about
that, by assuming that C++ prevents anyone from coding in C (or any other
language for that matter). You are apparently unaware that C++ is a
superset of C, and thus can't be a 'limitation' to anyone who codes in C.

But I didn't come here for an arguement about programming languages. I have
indeed better things to do.

 >> Still, what I am attempting to do, is not an attempt to throw all the
 >> efforts of 'those who went before me' away. What I am attempting to
 >> do, is capturing all that happened before in better streamlined code.
 >> (And only for *clients* of the asterisk system, mind you, I have no
 >> further ambitions right now.) The reason I want to do that is mainly
 >> because I saw so many problems in the way that "libaix" has been
 >> ported to Windows so far.
 >>
 >> Furthermore, I would like to have a version of it that would be more
 >> easily extended by other programmers.
 >
 >Embrace, extend, extinguish.  Isn't that the Microsoft way?

You're afraid of being "extinguished" by *me*? Poor sod.

 >> To me, it seems that a properly designed C++ version of "libaix"
 >> could help in both those areas. But simply porting the C version into
 >> C++ is a hard job, without further information about the
 >> iax-protocol. Even without considering Windows ways to handle I/O (I
 >> have already concentrated that part into proper C++ classes that can
 >> easily be replaced)...
 >
 >Ah, it's the old "see those plus signs after the C?  That means it's
 >better" argument.

If you can provide me with a copy of the iax-library that plugs in
seemlessly with Borland's development environment (you might also try
Pascal or assembly), you would have solved my problem. As it is, all I can
find are ports that have about 300% overhead, and still leak memory, as
well as GPF'ing all the time...

Thanks for your lack of help, anyway.You've been a great advertisement for
the mentality of the open source community...

Groeten,
Boudewijn.