[Asterisk-Dev] Client development...

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 25 17:06:51 MST 2003

> First of all, IAX is open source and licensed under the GPL, so I
> don't
> know how you could possibly consider it proprietary.  You cannot find
> a formal specification, because one was never written.  There is,
> however, an open source library called libiax, which is intended to
> be
> used in your own applications, to enable you to use the protocol
> without needing to know the nitty-gritty.

Even more importantly.  Mark is free "improve" IAX protocol whenever he
wants or more likely to make a new one called "IAX3" or whatever.  He
will certainly update his libiax but you'd have a lifetime job keeping
your re-implemented iax library up to date.

I can see many reasons to write a new client for Windows but not one
for re-implementing libiax.  OK maybe it does not compile in your
enviroment then you need to port it and submit patches, autoconf macroa
or whatever back to the author.  But the LAST thing you want is that
lifetime maintance job.

=====
Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com