[Asterisk-Dev] Config file consistency

Peter Grace pgrace at fierymoon.com
Sat Sep 20 11:53:02 MST 2003

Hey guys,

	I was surfing through zapata.conf and I was wondering
about something -- we've got a pretty good system in
sip.conf, iax.conf, etc, for creating users... i.e.,
there's a separate section for each user.

	Why can't we do the same thing for zapata.conf?  Instead
of having all the channel definitions in one [general]
section, why not have something like:

[1]
signalling=fxo_ks
threewaycalling=yes
Etc

[2]
Signalling=fxs_ks
Etc

It is confusing to me to setup zapata.conf, and I'm pretty
sure that any new user would find it just as confusing, if
not more.  Can't we group our channels a little more
intelligently instead of saying "OK, everything before the
channel= definition is for the channel listed, then all
things that change are what is for the next channel= line?

Is there a particular reason why zapata.conf is different?
If not, then I'd like to work on changing the conf file to
something of that nature (read: pete is actually going to
put his code where his mouth is.)  Mark, what do you think?
 I'm fairly certain that it'd be easy enough to make the
"old" config files backwards compatible with the new
format, thereby allowing cvs updates to not cause people's
implementations to break.

Pete (km-)

- - ---
FLASH:
Princeton Professor threatened for research?
http://www.anti-dmca.org
- - ---