[Asterisk-Dev] Like a Heartbeat for *

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Sun Sep 14 19:25:56 MST 2003

[message re-ordered]

I think Mark is pretty full at the moment with other tasks.  I
suspect strongly that this won't go very far without some other
C-skilled person taking the flag and going somewhere with it, at
least writing a document as to what and how things would be
monitored.  Mark would obviously be involved heavily in it, but what
you're talking about is an extremely large-scale set of patches and
associated testing.

Plus, are there BSD-licensed SNMP libraries?  (I don't remember if
the CMU/Net-SNMP stuff is or not.)  Recall that anything going into *
must be disclaimed or licensed in such a way that it is public domain.

Alternately, if this is a worthwhile enough set of ideas, and you all
have $$$ floating around because of all the dough you saved
implementing Asterisk instead of proprietary systems, you might
consider all putting your cash towards paying someone to implement
it.  (Not me: I'm C-ignorant.)

I'm not being snippy or anything: I'm just being realistic. There are
lots of great ideas that can/should/could/might be done with
Asterisk, but even the trivial feature additions are now starting to
take a while to show up.  Put your money where your mouth is, and
maybe with the combined investment something might get done.  I would
love to have some measurable stats out of Asterisk, and I'd be
willing to throw a few bucks towards the effort.

JT