[Asterisk-Dev] "contrib" directory?

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Tue Sep 2 12:46:53 MST 2003

A Sourceforge site sounds like a good idea, if there is no final
momentum to get something added to the Digium CVS for inclusion into
the main Asterisk distribution.  This may be the only option for
people who wish to submit elements that are strictly GPL'ed (or
otherwise licensed outside of the Digium disclaimer) for political
reasons within their development effort.  This is not a minor point;
some firms have no problem with "pure" GPL, but those same managers
may hesitate to sign the Digium disclaimer due to FUD.  Note that I
am not volunteering myself to manage the Sourceforge site; I have
plenty of other things on my plate right now.

I think, however, that more people will participate and use projects
that are included in ../src/asterisk/contrib  if they are a standard
part of the distribution with Asterisk.  The submissions to the
contrib directory could be under the same rules as regular
submissions to Asterisk, except that they won't be compiled
automatically and might be a little more geared towards the expert
user.  Direct write to the CVS tree can still be controlled
exclusively by Digium folks, if that's what they want, or individual
sub-packages in ./contrib may be able to be update'ed by those
outside of Digium if they have signed the appropriate disclaimers and
are clueful enough to be given those permissions.

Other options are making contrib an optional download (i.e.: not part
of the main asterisk directory tree, like gastman is) or a tarball.

JT