[Asterisk-Dev] Fastman aka Flash-Astman + String Terminations

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Sat Oct 18 08:55:01 MST 2003

On Saturday 18 October 2003 10:25, Brancaleoni Matteo wrote:
> I'm trying to develop a Fastman, aka a sort of Gastman
> but with Flash (so the name F-Astman). This because
> we can have a lightweight, fast & nice gastman-alike
> interface in a web browser, on any platform the flash
> plugins runs on .
> With flash is rather easy to build a such app, since
> it has persistent tcp sockets, so a movie can connect
> to the asterisk manager and do the work.
>
> I've got a preliminary test working... a little
> app that logins on a ast manager, and display live
> the events... very simple, just to test the connection
> from flash <-> asterisk.
>
> Now the issue ;)
> Flash wants that strings sent from the server have
> a null char as EOL (is to say '\0'), or they don't get
> detected. And of course * doesn't send '\0' and the end
> of each string sent by the manager.

This is a technical violation of most of the RFCs.  Most protocols
specify the "\r\n" combination as the line delimiter for network
traffic.  Requiring a NUL afterwards or instead of this delimiter makes
this type of string handling unsuitable for most network applications.

Since Flash is certainly able to deal with HTTP requests and responses
(which don't embed NULs after every line), it makes me think that this
NUL is not a requirement, but that there is a different method for
network applications.  You might want to look into that.

-Tilghman