[Asterisk-Dev] sip nat autodetect?

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 18 00:12:32 MST 2003

The best "fix" would be to simply have a way to tell Asterisk
to send outbound SIP through a proxy.  Once Asterisk can do
that you can use the facilities of the SIP proxy to mangle
packets any way you want.  SER is a proxy and the (Perl-like)
configuration language is quite powerfull.  Asterisk _could_
be made to do all the tricks that a real SER proxy can do but
why?

Currently SIP is only usable with clients that are on the same
side of the firewall as the Asterisk server.

Am I volenteering for to make a patch.  I'd have to understand
SIP bether first.  That first, hack the code later.

--- John Todd <jtodd at loligo.com> wrote:
> >	I'm wondering if there is a way I can set in
> >my sip.conf a block of ip ranges that if it sees the
> >registers from that ip it can change the sip peer to nat=yes
> automatically.
> >
> >	eg: 10/8, 172.16/14, 192.168/16, etc..?
> >
> >	- jared
> >
> >--
> >Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from
> jared at puck.nether.net
> >clue++;      | http://puck.nether.net/~jared/  My statements are
> only mine.
>
> Yes, I thought of that same idea some time ago, but then I thought:
> why would it be a problem to put "nat=yes" in for all hosts?
>
> However, I do see your point, and there are perhaps instances where
> "nat=yes" can do some harm if the host is not behind NAT.  Do I hear
> you volunteering for a patch?  ;-)
>
> JT

=====
Chris Albertson