[Asterisk-Dev] Problem with asterisk/codecs/gsm/Makefile asterisk/codecs/mp3

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 16 18:58:50 MST 2003

No, read it again.  I didn't say "Please do this."  I asked
if there was a reason not to do it.  Reason I asked is because
some developers think auto tools to complex and would rather
write portable makefiles by hand.

I was thinking of doing the conversion to auto tools myself
but would only atempt it if the result would be accepted into
CVS.

There is another small open source project where I did this
and the main author, not understanding how auto tools works
didn't want it.  Now we have a code fork with two versions
of the same code base.

There is a good reason to use autoconf.  Aside from portibility.
For example, while reading the SIP stuff I found a _run time_
check for the existance of a /proc file system.  Maybe better
to move this kind of stuff to the configure script.  But the first
step is just to see if there is resistance to this kind of stuff.

> This was asked about a month ago and answered.  To summarize:  nobody
> wants to maintain the autoconf/automake tools for Asterisk.  If you
> want
> to do this, I suggest you summarily volunteer and get the tools up to
> speed.  Otherwise, stop suggesting more work, unless you're planning
> to volunteer to do some of it.
>
> It seems silly to complain about how broken something is, even though
> everybody else is using it with no problems, but not offer to write
> the
> solution.
>
> -Tilghman

=====