[Asterisk-Dev] RE: Asterisk license (fwd)

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Oct 1 18:58:03 MST 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 19:19, John Todd wrote:
> At 9:56 AM +1000 10/2/03, Ben Lear wrote:
> >[snip]
> >Let the flaming begin :D
> >
> >Ben.
> >
> >PS: I would consider donating my ODBC wrapper code/time to the "Lets get
> >this database crap sorted once and for all cause" if enuff interest is
> >shown.
> >

> Yes, I would have quite an interest in making a generic toolkit
> interface for Asterisk to talk with databases.  Currently, I am
> locked into writing hacks to get to database information, or building
> config files with similar hacks.  Even just a few simple routines to
> replace "DBGet" and "DBPut" with something that talks to an external
> system would be welcome; no need to replace the whole system all at
> one time...

Not that this solves the other part of the problem, but did you look
into PGSQL commands in asterisk? It allows you full database access from
the extension logic.

Now for the interesting part. I mentioned this once before, but
shouldn't we make a SQL resource and then use it to make the connections
to the database?

I would prefer this solution especially if ODBC was to be used since you
could prioritize your SQL commands and those with low priority could go
to the lower end of the list in the event of database overrun. Take for
instance CDR events as having lower priority as they are written at the
completion of the call and no one is being impacted. Then say your
voicemail app could run medium to high priority since you would have a
user being impacted. Also with all the  queries going through a single
point, you only have less chances of a connection timing out and you
don't have to worry about how many users you appear to be to any
proprietary DB back end. Also later on adding SQL support to a app is
not much more than issuing the correct res_sql_ commands instead of
linking in anything else.

What is anyone elses thought about going the resource route?