[Asterisk-Dev] app_disa2: Feedback requested

Eric Wieling eric at fnords.org
Sun Nov 2 13:29:36 MST 2003

I plan on honouring ResponseTimeout and DigitTimeout but since there
really isn't a documented API for Asterisk applications I don't
currently know how to do that.  I agree that having a fixed timeout is
ugly.  I've never written an app_* for Asterisk before.  The current
DISA2 was hacked togather over about 12 hours.  One of the toughest
parts was parsing the parameters passed to it.  Perl has REALLY spoiled
me when it comes to handling and parsing strings.

I am trying to handle extension matching in the same way chan_zap and
chan_mgcp do.  The current DISA handles this somewhat differently.    My
goal for DISA2 is to basically complete the dial when more digits would
not provide a better match.  If more digits would provide a better
match, wait for DigitTimeout and then try going to that extension.  I
*think* this is the way chan_zap and chan_mgcp do it

On Sun, 2003-11-02 at 13:46, John Todd wrote:
> >I'm working on rewriting app_disa and would like some feedback on my
> >code.  I pretty much don't know what I'm doing, so any Asterisk specific
> >comments would be greatly appreciated.  I'll try attaching the source,
> >it's not all that big.  Yes, a fair number of features are not
> >implemented (mostly password and config file features), but I wanted to
> >see if I can get some feedback before I go much further with it.
> >
> >--Eric
> >
> [snip]
>
> Eric -
>    I'd suggest using the ResponseTimeout and DigitTimeout values as
> methods to check how long you should play the "dialtone" and then
> execute the dial statement.  Having a fixed timeout period is kind of
> ugly, which I believe is what is being used now.
>
>    Additionally and closely related: it looks like this application
> does not have the option to be auto-completing to the context to
> which it is pointed.  In other words, if the context that you're
> sending these dialed strings into has "_1800XXXXXXX" as a matching
> possibility, will the number be dialed immediately after the user
> enters the last digit of 18005551212?  I'd like to see this as an
> option vs. a mandatory setting, since there are reasons to use either
> or both sometimes.  There should be "execute-on-timeout-only",
> "execute-on-match-only", and "execute-on-either" value settings, so
> that the administrator can determine when a number gets fed to the
> follow-up context.
>
>    The "old" DISA application used to do immediate dials as soon as a
> match was found in the new context.  That was then modified by Mark
> some months ago and changed to just use a timeout (an overly long
> timeout, IMHO, but that's a minor and easily changed value.)  You may
> want to look at the DISA code from maybe March or so to check out
> what it used to do, and how you might integrate that into the new
> DISA package.
>
> JT
Sample configs, scripts, more : http://www.fnords.org/~eric/asterisk/

BTEL Consulting 504-899-1387 or 850-484-4545 or 877-677-9643