[Asterisk-Dev] Anyone doing QOS routing on Linux for SIP/RTP?

Bill Jennings bj at BigRiverWireless.net
Thu May 15 08:58:14 MST 2003

Brian,

I run a fixed-wireless ISP using 802.11.  I have one customer who could
not get phone service at one of his locations, but could at another.
Since both locations have wireless internet service, I installed an
asterisk box at each location with three fxo cards at one location, and
a channel bank at the other.

The link between the two locations is a simplex repeater (similar to an
access point, but operating in IBSS mode) which is shared by a dozen or
so of my other customers.

It took a while before I could get the sound quality to an acceptable
level, but that was mainly choosing the correct echo cancellor.

The latency is not a problem, as all of the routers (linux boxes) honor
the TOS flags, and asterisk sets them correctly.

FWIW, my $.02

Bill Jennings
Big River Wireless