[Asterisk-Dev] T1 Card testing

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Fri Mar 7 08:22:52 MST 2003

On Fri, 2003-03-07 at 05:10, Vinod Sankar wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm planning to integrate the Digium Quad T1 card
> (WildCard T400P) to our own VoIP software, using the
> Asterix driver. However, we do not have an external T1
> line.  Is it possible to loopback a T1 line between 2
> ports of the same T1 card, configured as a line side
> port and a trunk side port, and test it with the Asterix
> driver ? As an aside, I was informed by a Digium sales
> person that using just the Asterix driver code for Digium
> cards is free of royalty for commercial applications. Could
> someone confirm this ?

Slight nit picking here to help clarify your question and answer. You
will not be using the asterisk driver for the Digium T1 card, you
instead will be using the Zapata driver.
http://www.zapatatelephony.org/
At the top of zap.c in the zapatra library you will find the license.
The author has placed the library in the public domain. The driver for
the card itself is GPL.

Since your app doesn't have to know about the GPL driver to use the
public domain library, you can build a comercial closed source app
without licensing problems.

Just beware that you will need to watch where you use other code.
Asterisk itself is publicly available licensed as GPL, but you would
have to pay digium a royalty for licensing of the code in other than a
GPL application.