[Asterisk-Dev] vmail.cgi: File permissions

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Fri Jun 20 12:45:45 MST 2003

I'm working on vmail.cgi; being able to work on voicemails through a web
interface is waaaay friendlier than "message at a time" through the POTS
interface.

It doesn't work out of the box if the UID of the web server (in my case
"nobody") isn't the same as the UID of the asterisk process (in my case
"root").  Not even reading messages works because the VM files are
created with permissions 700.

So I wonder what the correct way of doing this is?  Opening up
/var/spool/asterisk/voicemail to the world doesn't seem like a very good
choice, but having vmail.cgi run as root seems even less good.

Thanks.

B.