[Asterisk-Dev] Comedian Mail features

Ryan Tucker rtucker at netacc.net
Thu Jul 24 11:58:56 MST 2003

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 12:17:16 -0400, Alex Lopez <alex at opsys.com> wrote:
> On the customer I am configuring now, they have several companies working
> out of one location.  I put the different phones, sip, and IAX into the
> correct context for outgoing calls so that CID shows the correct name.
> How hard would it be to add something to voicemail.conf??

We're in the same boat, more or less -- different companies, one server.

I was thinking of using a database to keep track of things.  Perhaps even
base extension handling altogether out of the database.

> As far as call forwarding is concerned. I am thinking about having a DB
> that the user can place a value of 'where' they are. I would then do a
> lookup against the DB and send the call there.

We are using the Asterisk internal DB currently, as it's there, it's fast,
and the call forwarding code posted to asterisk-users a bit ago uses it.  I
don't think I'd be too adverse to PostgreSQL, except I'm not sure about the
reliability concerns of throwing in a couple SQL queries in the middle of
call processing.  I am, however, wondering how effective it would be to
edit the physical database files outside of Asterisk.

> My idea is to use touch tones and the phone as an interface as someone
> may not have access to a browser, but usually always have access to a
> phone. These options are not mutually exclusive.

Yup.  The phone-based processing is quite doable, and is being done here.
However, our management seems to have a thing for pretty pictures, and it
would be cool to be able to adjust things remotely.  -rt

--
Ryan Tucker
Network Engineer