[Asterisk-Dev] Current database abstraction effort ?

Nicolas Bougues nbougues-listes at axialys.net
Wed Dec 31 17:19:06 MST 2003

On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 02:21:14PM -0300, CW_ASN wrote:
> > It's definetly not a major issue, but before starting to work on it
> > I'd like to know what the community has to say about it.
> >
> > I found a few references to the way the FreeRadius people did it, and
> > I would probably make something similar, although there a a few things
> > in their design that I would make otherwise.
>
> I think that the best part of this could be to use ODBC routines implemented
> by Brian, and I believe that it would not be very difficult to write this
> module (I'm thinking mainly in routing stuff).

I'm not familiar at all with ODBC. But this is not my main conern, I
can learn.

However, I'm wondering whether adding unixodbc requirement to do
database handling may :
- make building asterisk harder (more packages to get)
- make it more prone to various lib incompatibilites (is unixodbc
  compatible between versions ?)
- add some unnecessary complexity, and/or have significant a
  performance cost.
- not provide that much of an help : how well is unixodbc (and its
  database drivers) packaged in the most widespread distros
  (Debian, RH/Fedora, Suse, MDK...) ?

Could the people familiar with unixODBC share their views on these
topics ?

--
Nicolas Bougues
Axialys Interactive