[Asterisk-Dev] Re: VoiceXML Connectivity for Asterisk

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Dec 3 12:40:08 MST 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-03 at 13:03, Raj Kiran Talusani wrote:
> Thanks for the reply,
>
> >You mention above that you are using SIP. Why not just use SIP to
> >transport the call to your software? Then there is no code writing
> >needed unless there is SIP interop problems.
>
> I have no SIP interoperability problems.
>
> But suppose in an hypothetical situation , there is an advanced conferencing
> app. I call into the conference and then invoke the app_voicexml, which will
> have a dialouge with me and help me to find the phone number of my friend
> from my online address book. Then i will dialout this number and connect him
> to the conference.

I guess in this question, are you dialing a conference? Sounds like what
you list below is not a conference but just a normal call progression.

> I have one more important question here. In asterisk, extentions are a series
> of applications listed in order. Is it possible tor the application return
> back some data, that could be used by the next step in that extension??
>
> example:
>
> exten => 1234,1,VoiceXML(getphonenum.vxml)
>
> this voicexml app would have a dialog with the user and gets phone number
> from the addressbook. Now how does the VoiceXML app return back this number
> so that it can be used by the next step of this extension to dial out this
> number .. or something like that

In this case you would have to either pass back data in channel
variables, or possible define a dial number function in the VoiceXML
application that does the appropriate work. You can jump to a new
context, extension, and priority as you leave. Look at the way AGI does
it when you set context, extension, and priority.

I'm sorry that I don't know voiceXML very well to know if there is
already actions you could take like dial number. If there is, then thats
what you would probably want to do here.