[Asterisk-Dev] SMS over PRI/E1?

Nicolas Bougues nbougues-listes at axialys.net
Wed Dec 3 02:19:38 MST 2003

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 10:02:29AM +0100, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
> > > I spoke to this guy the other day, working with Cisco's VoIP system. He
> > > told me they were using a PRI/E1 to transport SMS, and could even do so
> > > from their phones.
> > >
> > > May this be possible with asterisk? I have an E100P in my primary
> > > asterisk server connected to a E1/PRI.
> >
> > If you mean sending a SMS to a PSTN endpoint, I have some code to do it, but
> > I never released it as it was just an experiment... (It could be easily
> > changed to send a SMS to a PSTN SMSC.)
>
> What I want, is to send SMS messages to people whenever something
> crashes, servers going down etc. Could this be done? Will I need to ask
> my telco for an SMS endpoint somehow (SMSC?)

Definetly.

Either ask your ISDN provider if they provide multi-operator SMS
routing (probably as D channel messaging). Or contact directly the
mobile operator(s) you want to send SMS to. They may provide ISDN
(probably as data over B chan) access to their SMSC.

Other ways of submitting SMSs to SMS-C are mostly :
- through X25 (which itself might be available as leased line,
  dial-up, B-chan ISDN or D-chan ISDN).
- through IP
- through dial-up
- using a handset connected to a serial port (easy and cheap!)
- using an SMS broker, such as Netsize in Europe, for instance.

Note that in most countries, direct interconnect with SMS-C (X25/IP)
are usually meant for large account (SMS brokers, for instance).

--
Nicolas Bougues
Axialys Interactive