[Asterisk-Dev] asterisk on non-linux OSes

Thu Aug 28 00:38:13 MST 2003

> On Thursday 28 August 2003 12:41, timecop at pbx.mine.nu wrote:
> > > For example, I am putting together an ebuild for Gentoo Linux
> right now.
> >
> > But, see, why should asterisk build system adjust to some thing invented
> > by gentoo(?).
>
> This is not Gentoo specific. Most common packaging systems (e.g.
> *BSD ports,
> RPMs, Debian deb's) do something similar. Support for DESTDIR is
> part of the
> standard GNU makefiles. Adding it makes Asterisk considerably easier
> to package and makes it easier to deploy for customers.

I agree, I don't think that an autoconf build system would be a terribly bad thing, and it would be nice to be able to specify which modules should/should not be built similar to how it is done with Apache...

> > > Another alternative would be SCons (http://www.scons.org).
> > > SCons is a make replacement written in Python which includes a fair
> > > amount of autoconf functionality. It is much cleaner
> > > than shell/make, but requires Python.
> >
> > Nobody has python installed on any sort of production server,
> such as one
> > running asterisk.
>
> I think you need to get out more :-). Python is a very useful tool.
> It is included in the base install of many Linux distributions, including

I know, it is so annoying, it is somewhat difficult to get a decent server install using a standard redhat installation disk set.... Most of the time you need to do a lot of package pruning post installation before it is really ready for prime time...

That interprets back to *Don't require python for a build!*

Regards,
Adam