[Asterisk-Dev] asterisk on non-linux OSes

Jake Morrison jake at newnetlogic.com
Wed Aug 27 23:58:22 MST 2003

On Thursday 28 August 2003 12:41, timecop at pbx.mine.nu wrote:
> > For example, I am putting together an ebuild for Gentoo Linux right now.
>
> But, see, why should asterisk build system adjust to some thing invented
> by gentoo(?).

This is not Gentoo specific. Most common packaging systems (e.g. *BSD ports,
RPMs, Debian deb's) do something similar. Support for DESTDIR is part of the
standard GNU makefiles. Adding it makes Asterisk considerably easier
to package and makes it easier to deploy for customers.

> > Another alternative would be SCons (http://www.scons.org).
> > SCons is a make replacement written in Python which includes a fair
> > amount of autoconf functionality. It is much cleaner
> > than shell/make, but requires Python.
>
> Nobody has python installed on any sort of production server, such as one
> running asterisk.

I think you need to get out more :-). Python is a very useful tool.
It is included in the base install of many Linux distributions, including
RedHat. It is extremely suitable for production applications:
http://www.python-in-business.org/success/
http://www.python.org/Quotes.html

In any case, Python would only be needed for building Asterisk, not
running it.

Regards,
Jake