[Asterisk-Dev] Is Asterisk the right software suite?

wasim at convergence.com.pk wasim at convergence.com.pk
Mon Aug 18 20:17:09 MST 2003

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, Kevin K wrote:

> 1) What are the memory/processor requirements to install and run Asterisk?
> (<- this might be influenced by question 2)

not a whole lot, go through the list archives, but we've easily done *
with P1-MMX-166/64 MB + 2 channels TDM + 2 channels IAX (GSM)

> 2) Are the different applications and features available for Asterisk
> optional or must everything be installed to work properly?  As said, my use
> for Asterisk is very simplistic, so I'm wondering if I still need to link
> all the features that I don't need to use (e.g. those under
> usr/lib/asterisk/modules, var/spool/asterisk/vm, etc directories).

optional in most cases, you can choose to load only those modules you want

> 3) How long has it taken some of you to install Asterisk and get it working
> in a simple call?  (I know this is a very general question, but it may give
> me an idea for my schedule).

once the sources are on the system and compiled, it doesn't take more than
5 minutes or so to setup a 2 channel TDM - routed over IAX between two *
which speaks volumes for the completeness of a default * install

:) but since you're new at it (depending on aptitude) i'd say put aside a
few hours of an evening (also depends on how much help you have, get a
hold of someone on #asterisk)

minimal steps in order...

	cvs (zaptel/asterisk)
	make|install in zaptel