[Asterisk-Dev] Is Asterisk the right software suite?

Kevin K asteriskk at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 19 21:00:15 MST 2003

Hi,

I am looking to set-up a VERY simple VoIP system to enable an end-to-end
call (TDM-IP-TDM) or possibly multiple calls.  My intention is to look into
bandwidth-saving algorithms such as voice activity detection / silence
suppression and RTP header compression.  I am not overly interested in other
features such as IVR, voicemail, etc at this time.

My questions are:

1) What are the memory/processor requirements to install and run Asterisk?
(<- this might be influenced by question 2)

2) Are the different applications and features available for Asterisk
optional or must everything be installed to work properly?  As said, my use
for Asterisk is very simplistic, so I'm wondering if I still need to link
all the features that I don't need to use (e.g. those under
usr/lib/asterisk/modules, var/spool/asterisk/vm, etc directories).

3) How long has it taken some of you to install Asterisk and get it working
in a simple call?  (I know this is a very general question, but it may give
me an idea for my schedule).

Thanks for the help,
Kevin