[Asterisk-Dev] CMI 8738 problems with getting Asterisk to use the card

timecop at pbx.mine.nu timecop at pbx.mine.nu
Mon Aug 11 04:57:18 MST 2003

> The question is how do I get Asterisk to recognise the 8378 card and allow
> full duplex to work. It seems that if I rotate which one is first or second
> e.g. in 'modules.conf'
>
> alias sound-slot-0 i810_audio
> alias sound-slot-1 cmpci

forget modules, compile in.

> Or the other way around asterisk still gives an error the error is exactly:
>
> WARNING[107438140]: File chan_oss.c, Line 419 (sound_init): Unable to open
> /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy
> == No sound card detected --console channel will be unavailable
Something is using your card. Since you run RedHat, its probably some
weird redhat sound thing like esound or arts or whatever, (and I am
assuming you are running gnome or kDE or some other GUI thing (on a
server? why, dont ask) and its hogging your /dev/dsp.

Suggestion? dont run arts/esd, and if you still get no full-duplex after
that, get alsa - it supports most PCI cards way better.