[Asterisk-Dev] CMI 8738 problems with getting Asterisk to use the card

Fats Neutron fats.neutron at grandmore.com
Mon Aug 11 04:51:13 MST 2003

I have been playing around with this since Friday and I am now so confused I
cannot figure why way though without asking a few questions.

I purchase a CMI 8738 because of it's full duplex capability so that I could
use it during development with asterisk. I also purchased a Digium X100p
card for the same reason.

I have successfully managed to get the xa100p card working and can dial in
and get the answer message so I know the card is working.

My real problem is with the 8738. I have found that Redhat 9, which I am
using has built in support for the card so even though I compiled a new
kernel with this support I have not installed it as the support was already
in place.

I also have sound on the board using i810 so I actually have two sound
cards. I have tested them both and they work happily.

The question is how do I get Asterisk to recognise the 8378 card and allow
full duplex to work. It seems that if I rotate which one is first or second
e.g. in 'modules.conf'

alias sound-slot-0 i810_audio
alias sound-slot-1 cmpci

Or the other way around asterisk still gives an error the error is exactly:

WARNING[107438140]: File chan_oss.c, Line 419 (sound_init): Unable to open
/dev/dsp: Device or resource busy
== No sound card detected --console channel will be unavailable

What am I doing wrong?

And help would be gratefully received.

Fats.