[Asterisk-Dev] Web GUI

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 8 11:00:40 MST 2003

One major problem with text based config files in very large systems
is concurancy and locking.  What happens when two people want to
edit the file at the same time?  This will happen if you have
enough users.

This problem is not unique to Asterisk or PBXes.  Just look at the
UNIX /etc/passwd file.  It works well for a dozen users, is managable
for 100 but what if you need 10,000 user accounts?  With that many
users you'd likely have a small staff of admins and you can't have
them all making edits at once.  No one with 1,000 users would use
/etc/passwd.  They at least go with NIS with is based on "DB"

This very well could all be moot as I really don't think Asterisk
running on a PC could run a large nuber of extensions (Large being
a few thousand.)

The best solution would be to do what UNIX does and use something
like /etc/nsswitch.conf so a triveal home 1x1 pbx could us a text file
while a larger system could use LDAP or an RDBMS.

--- John Todd <jtodd at loligo.com> wrote:
> At 12:38 PM -0400 8/8/03, Jeremy McNamara wrote:
> >Alastair Maw wrote:
> >
> >>Suggest you look at:
> >>http://andreasotto.net/asterisk/
> >

> >I serouisly hope you are joking.   DynExtenDB is absolutey the WRONG
>
> >way to bring database based extensions into Asterisk.
> >
> >Use a switch.   Karl Putland and myself have worked on mysql_switch,
>
> >but due to lack of interest we never finished it.
> >
> >Jeremy McNamara
>
> Perhaps you may interpret this thread as renewed interest.
>
> As with all open-source code, if there is a running version of a
> solution (i.e.: code can be downloaded and compiled) then that is
> what will be used.  If you have code that will provide this function
> in a cleaner and more integrated way, then by all means send a patch
> to the bugs.digium.com list (if unfinished) or submit it to kram for
> approval (if finished.)
>
> I have several locations where a robust SQL-based extension database
> would help quite a bit in rollout.  There are much, much larger
> Asterisk installations on the horizon, and one of the major
> difficulties right now is showing how daily administration will be
> done for hundreds or thousands of extensions.  Right now I shrug and
> say "Well, you'll have to have someone manually configure all the
> files."  The lack of a database and permissions structure leaves
> Asterisk right where traditional PBX systems are: completely at the
> mercy of the admin.  Since we seem to be moving the power of the
> phone system further out into the hands of the users, it does make
> sense that a Web GUI would allow them to control their own telephony
> configurations.
>
> JT

=====
Chris Albertson