[Asterisk-Dev] re: Web GUI

Dave Packham dave.packham at utah.edu
Fri Aug 8 10:15:42 MST 2003

ok all.  I have sent the PHP web gui code to Mark at Digium but have not heard back yet.  I dont know that status if he wants to CVS it or not.  maybe if he does not answer in a this next week ill just upload it to a website for all to DL.

we could add to this as a base and get it to work better for all

again the current URL for it is http://rads.netcom.utah.edu/openconf/openconf.php

Dave P

At 12:38 PM -0400 8/8/03, Jeremy McNamara wrote:
>Alastair Maw wrote:
>
>>Suggest you look at:
>>http://andreasotto.net/asterisk/
>

>I serouisly hope you are joking.   DynExtenDB is absolutey the WRONG
>way to bring database based extensions into Asterisk.
>
>Use a switch.   Karl Putland and myself have worked on mysql_switch,
>but due to lack of interest we never finished it.
>
>Jeremy McNamara

Perhaps you may interpret this thread as renewed interest.

As with all open-source code, if there is a running version of a
solution (i.e.: code can be downloaded and compiled) then that is
what will be used.  If you have code that will provide this function
in a cleaner and more integrated way, then by all means send a patch
to the bugs.digium.com list (if unfinished) or submit it to kram for
approval (if finished.)

I have several locations where a robust SQL-based extension database
would help quite a bit in rollout.  There are much, much larger
Asterisk installations on the horizon, and one of the major
difficulties right now is showing how daily administration will be
done for hundreds or thousands of extensions.  Right now I shrug and
say "Well, you'll have to have someone manually configure all the
files."  The lack of a database and permissions structure leaves
Asterisk right where traditional PBX systems are: completely at the
mercy of the admin.  Since we seem to be moving the power of the
phone system further out into the hands of the users, it does make
sense that a Web GUI would allow them to control their own telephony
configurations.

JT