[Asterisk-bsd] Is there a good Asterisk webapp (candidate)?

Kurt Lidl lidl at pix.net
Tue Aug 2 22:44:02 CDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 02, 2011 at 10:30:27PM -0500, Adam Vande More wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 5:51 PM, Roger Marquis <marquis at roble.com> wrote:
>
> > Tried asterisk-gui but it doesn't manage provisioning or have much of a
> > dialplan front-end.  Tried porting FreePBX (thanks to Doug Barton) but it
> > has so much RedHat-specific code that we gave up on it.  I really don't
> > want to install the Linux image that FreePBX seems to need but am running
> > out of options.  In my experience software that is not written to work on
> > multiple OSs is always buggier and riskier than software written (and
> > tested) cross-platform.  We are looking for good software, whether OSS or
> > proprietary does not matter as long as it works on vanilla Asterisk and
> > runs on several Unix and Linux OSs.  So my questions:
> >
> >  1) Does anyone know of a good cross-platform web manager for Asterisk?
> >  All we really need is handset provisioning, dialplan, and voicemail
> >  editing.
> >

> If that's all you want, it seems like webmin would be adequate.  IIRC, there
> was also an asterisk plugin for webmin but I haven't tried since 1.4 was new
> and it wasn't that great then.  I just $EDITOR otherwise for stuff, and have
> a CDR web frontend.
>
> Out curiosity, have you tried this?
> http://www.freepbx.org/support/documentation/installation/install-process-for-freebsd
>
> Seems out of date but might be a good starting place.

I've actually got FreePBX up and running on FreeBSD 8.2 (started
on 8.0, then 8.1).  I submitted a bunch of changes upstream to the
FreePBX people, most of those made it into their tree.  That was
probably a year ago or so.  The only thing that really rankles is this:
just give up about sticking the amportal.conf file anyplace other
than /etc/amportal.conf.

If you give up on that, you can configure everything else to live out of
/usr/local without serious issues.

-Kurt