[Asterisk-bsd] CAPI and ISDN DDI Configuration

Thomas Zimmermann tzimmermann at mac.com
Thu Sep 11 09:12:16 CDT 2008

Hi all,

I use Asterisk with CAPI on FreeBSD 7 and Nagios only for sending and
(later) receiving SMS alerts over ISDN to and from mobile users. Receiving
SMS is an option to acknowledge or delegate alerts. Now I have stumbled
across three issues.

1. Sharing Asterisk on the same NT with an existing PBX:
We have an ISDN line with 4 NTs (8 BRI channels) and 100 telephone numbers
for DDI. The protocol is point-to-point.
Since connecting Asterisk behind the existing PBX is not possible, I share
one of the NTs with the existing PBX.
I assume that the existing PBX listens to all DDI Numbers. How can I
configure Asterisk to listen to one number without interfering with the
other PBX?

2. I am still confused as to how I should setup capi.conf and
extensions.conf correctly for an ISDN line with DDIs! All documentation I
have found (readmes and Google) mainly focuses on ISDN with
point-to-multipoint (msn).
Although my configuration works, I see strange behavior. After running
Asterisk for about 15 minutes, the /var/log/messages log file and the
console fill up about five times every second with the following message:
i4b-L2 dss1_pipe_data_req: unit=0, pipe=0, i_queue full or no fifo
translator!!
I can stop this message using '/usr/local/etc/rc.d/asterisk stop'.
You can see my configuration files further down in this mail.
Do I have to set more parameters in my configuration, or should I replace my
(passive) ISDN interface with an active one?

3. Sending SMS, the command above runs successfully, and I receive a message
on the mobile phone. However, it displays the wrong ?Calling Line
Identification (CLIP)?: It shows the main number instead of the DDI
extension.

smsq --motx-channel=?CAPI/ISDN1/0622100000' 079xxx8690 'Hello World? (valid
for Swisscom in Switzerland)

Versions:
- Asterisk 1.4.21.2 (build from the ports tree)
- i4b and chan-capi (svn rev. 850) from Hans Petter Selaski
- FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE-p4 amd-64

ISDN Line:
4 basic lines / 4 NTs
100 DDI extensions (extensions are 2 digits)
Using ISDN and Channel Driver from Hans Petter Selasky. i4b and chan-capi
(svn rev. 850).

#pciconf -lv
ihfc0 at pci0:6:0:0: class=0x028000 card=0x2bd01397 chip=0x2bd01397 rev=0x02
hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Cologne Chip Designs GmbH'
    device     = 'HFC-S PCI A ISDN 2BDS0 ISDN HDLC FIFO Controller'
    class      =  network

#isdnconfig
controller 0 = {
  Layer 1:
    description : HFC-2BDS0 128K PCI ISDN adapter
    type        : passive ISDN (Basic Rate, 2xB)
    channels    : 0x3
    serial      : 0xabcd
    power_save  : on
    dialtone    : enabled
    attached    : yes
    PH-state    : F7: Activated
  Layer 2:
    driver_type : DRVR_DSS1_P2P_TE
}

# cat capi.conf
[general]
nationalprefix = 0
internationalprefix = 00
language = de
rxgain = 1.0
txgain = 1.0

[ISDN1]
isdnmode = DID
incomingmsn = 1234500
defaultcid = 1234578
controller = 0
group = 1
softdtmf = on
relaxdtmf = on
accountcode=
context = capi_in
holdtype = local
echocancel = no
devices = 2

# cat extensions.conf
[default]
include = capi_in
include = capi_out

[capi_out]
exten => _X.,1,Dial(CAPI/ISDN1/${EXTEN}/bl,60)
exten => _X.,2,Hangup

[capi_in]
exten = _678,1,Dial(SIP/78)
exten = _678,2,Hangup