[Asterisk-bsd] RTP destination address with NAT

Adam Vande More adam at imedmobility.com
Thu May 29 11:28:54 CDT 2008

Mike Durian wrote:
> Following up to my own post.
> When I updated asterisk, I also updated FreeBSD from 6.x to 7.x.
> I believe this had a subtle effect on some PF behavior (I know
> I had to enable IPSEC_FILTERTUNNEL to get cups to work) and made
> the system more sensitive to the asterisk behavior.
>
> Previous versions of asterisk might have also sent the initial
> few RTP packets to the wrong address too, but I just didn't notice.
> I do believe that finding a way to prevent asterisk from sending
> RTP packets to a destination before it has received one (at least
> for NAT peers) will fix my problems.
>
> If anyone has advice on how to do this, I'd quite appreciate it.
>
> mike

Your firewalling is much more complicated than my setup, however have
you checked into sip.conf settings ipaddr and rtpkeepalive?

It's been awhile since I set it up, but I believe I had to had in a rule
like:

set timeout { udp.first 300, udp.single 300, udp.multiple 900 }

for pf to keep the port open.  That was at one location, my other
location uses ipfw and natd which didn't require any mods I can recall.

--
Adam Vandemore
Systems Administrator