[Asterisk-bsd] Increasing delay in Meetme with ztdummy

Nicolas Blais nicblais at clkroot.net
Fri Mar 7 05:18:36 CST 2008

>> I am using Cisco 7940 phones and the X-lite softphones. Both exhibit the
>> same behavior (the delay starts out correct, and grows longer until it
>> reaches about 3 seconds).
>
>    3 seconds is a delay of about 150 voice frames. This shouldn't be
> possible with the channel.c patch, but perhaps Asterisk 1.4.x has another
> queue somewhere (dynamic jitter buffer??). I guess there could be some
> queueing going on in MeetMe as well.
>    I'm still using 1.2.x on all of our VoIP servers, so I can't really
> confirm proper behavior on 1.4.x.
>
>> I have left everything in zapata.conf default (nothing added or removed)
>> and zaptel.conf only has:
>> loadzone = us
>> defaultzone = us
>>
>> My setup is pretty simple, all I got are Cisco 7940/X-Lite phones that
>> work very well together, and ztdummy for MeetMe.
>
>    That all looks fine. Is your server running NTP and is it synced
> with a stable network clock? Also, just to confirm, you never have
> this problem on calls between extensions (through Asterisk) when not
> using MeetMe?
>
> -DG

An update to my situation. I've transfered a complete copy of my Asterisk
box from the server it was running on (Dell Poweredge 1950) to a HP DL 380
and everything is fine. No lag in MeetMe at all. I assume there's
something funny about the PE's RTC or perhaps the SMP is acting funny on
the 8-core PE as compared to the 2-core DL 380.

I'll also mentioned that this is with the unpatched ztdummy./channel.c

I'll put this box into official production use and see if my clients are
still seeing lag or not (but I expect not).

Thanks for your help,

Nicolas.