[Asterisk-bsd] Diskless Asterisk Server

Frank Griffith glassdude45 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 12 08:21:30 CDT 2008

--- Gerald A <geraldablists at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Frank,
>
> On 4/6/08, Frank Griffith <glassdude45 at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> > Okay, I know I'm probably pushing the envelope but
> > did loads of experimenting with diskless setup
> this
> > past week. Getting past all the outdates docs,
> typos
> > and bad information was difficult, but this
> weekend I
> > got the diskless client to boot and got some of
> the
> > advanced configuration done with it. And I even
> got it
> > to work with 8.0-CURRENT.
>
> I'm actually very interested in this work, as I did
> have a working setup at
> one time, but have been thinking about going back
> and setting this up again.
>
> > Of course, now I would like to setup a diskless
> > machine to run Asterisk. I don't have any dough
> left
> > after paying my income tax to buy a Soekris box so
> I'm
> > making do with an older machine that has lost use
> of
> > it's hard drive.
> >
> > Can anyone offer me some pointers on how I could
> > advance this process. I like asterisk as my phone
> > system but the thought of having to buy hard
> drives
> > every few years is starting to make me think, who
> > needs them when the diskless process could take
> their place.
>
> There are two things that you need to consider.
> First is configuration. Diskless, in one way or
> another, means that
> you will only
> have scarce local storage. I used to use floppies
> for this, as they were cheap
> easy to deploy. Nowadays I'd think about USB sticks.
> You woldn't need much
> for configs, considering that 512MB seems to be the
> smallest they are selling
> now.
>
> The other thing is things generated from processes,
> like logfiles and voicemail
> and CDR's. If these aren't important,  then you can
> even forgo them.  You might
> want them, and someone else mentioned a database,
> but you could even
> do it with a network mount of some sort. I used NFS
> in my deployments,
> but SAMBA is also an option nowadays (if locking can
> be done
> properly).
>
> I'd love to help/contribute and test. Let me know if
> you'd like to
> co-ordinate efforts.
>
> Thanks,
> Gerald.

Oh yes, the reason I mentioned the FM radio card is
that our office has local FM radio stations running
for their moh but we don't use *. I'm eventually after
an * server that will use the sound card as it's
source for moh...and guess what I'm piping through my
sound card right now...my favorite local FM radio
stations. I've read about how someone did this with *
using Linux. Perhaps it can be done with FreeBSD too.