[Asterisk-bsd] Diskless Asterisk Server

Frank Griffith glassdude45 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 12 08:13:41 CDT 2008

--- Gerald A <geraldablists at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Frank,
>
> On 4/6/08, Frank Griffith <glassdude45 at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> > Okay, I know I'm probably pushing the envelope but
> > did loads of experimenting with diskless setup
> this
> > past week. Getting past all the outdates docs,
> typos
> > and bad information was difficult, but this
> weekend I
> > got the diskless client to boot and got some of
> the
> > advanced configuration done with it. And I even
> got it
> > to work with 8.0-CURRENT.
>
> I'm actually very interested in this work, as I did
> have a working setup at
> one time, but have been thinking about going back
> and setting this up again.
>
> > Of course, now I would like to setup a diskless
> > machine to run Asterisk. I don't have any dough
> left
> > after paying my income tax to buy a Soekris box so
> I'm
> > making do with an older machine that has lost use
> of
> > it's hard drive.
> >
> > Can anyone offer me some pointers on how I could
> > advance this process. I like asterisk as my phone
> > system but the thought of having to buy hard
> drives
> > every few years is starting to make me think, who
> > needs them when the diskless process could take
> their place.
>
> There are two things that you need to consider.
> First is configuration. Diskless, in one way or
> another, means that
> you will only
> have scarce local storage. I used to use floppies
> for this, as they were cheap
> easy to deploy. Nowadays I'd think about USB sticks.
> You woldn't need much
> for configs, considering that 512MB seems to be the
> smallest they are selling
> now.
>
> The other thing is things generated from processes,
> like logfiles and voicemail
> and CDR's. If these aren't important,  then you can
> even forgo them.  You might
> want them, and someone else mentioned a database,
> but you could even
> do it with a network mount of some sort. I used NFS
> in my deployments,
> but SAMBA is also an option nowadays (if locking can
> be done
> properly).
>
> I'd love to help/contribute and test. Let me know if
> you'd like to
> co-ordinate efforts.
>
> Thanks,
> Gerald.

Thanks for your replie everyone. This is something
I've been trying for quite a while and need a little
more technical advice to get working.

First off, Richard is right, 8.0-CURRENT is not the
test bed we should be using. It's running quite well
on my main server doing dhcpd, apache, etc...it also
it doing a nice job playing mp3's and soothing my work
hours using an FM radio card. The only thing I've
noticed so far with 8.0-CURRENT is the pesky debug
messages that keep coming up, but that's the way the
developers get input for help. I recompiled the kernel
for the diskless machine with debugging turned off but
if we do this then I have no problem building a
7.0-RELEASE or -STABLE machine.

Gerald, yes I would be glad to colaborate with you and
lets see how far we can get it. I'm in the * chat room
on freenode once in a while. Let's set up a time to
meet there and then start talking about how to
proceed. I will wager that Richard and some others
will be willing to offer seasoned advice.