[Asterisk-bsd] fxotune and bsd

Ian FREISLICH ianf at clue.co.za
Wed Dec 19 23:19:55 CST 2007

"Bob" wrote:
> Why are the /dev files renamed in zaptel BSD?
>
> This fix would be to get rid of the "/" in the sprintf that forms the
> directory name, but should the "/" be put back in when the files are
> created in the first place?
>
> The file is actually called /dev/zap1, /dev/zap2 ...
>
> On Linux it is /dev/zap/1, /dev/zap/2 ...

Atcually, I think it's a little more complicated than that.  My
/dev/zap/ directory has the following contents:

[brane] ~ $ ls -l /dev/zap/
total 0
crw-------  1 root  wheel    0, 117 Dec 14 15:56 channel2
crw-------  1 root  wheel    0, 118 Dec 14 15:56 channel3
crw-------  1 root  wheel    0, 119 Dec 19 18:34 channel4
crw-rw-r--  1 root  wheel    0, 109 Dec 14 15:56 ctl
crw-------  1 root  wheel    0, 116 Dec 14 15:56 timer1

But the channelN devices only show up when Asterisk has connected
to the zaptel driver.  When Asterisk is stopped, only the ctl and
timer devices are present.

I think that FreeBSD uses the ioctl() interface to address the zap
devices.  There was a thread recently in asterisk-dev:

Subject: Re: [asterisk-dev] Zaptel patch advice needed

Where someone wanted more than 255 channels and the major/minor
numbering apparently doesn't allow that, which is probably why the
zaptel-bsd driver didn't even bother with /dev/zap/N.

I'm going to try and see if opening the devices the way the thread
mentioned above does.  Others are welcome to try as well.  I may
have limited success.

Ian

--
Ian Freislich