[Asterisk-bsd] Digium g.729 codec registration on FreeBSD 6.1

Guntis Bumburs guntis at rixtel.com
Tue Sep 26 23:52:52 MST 2006

May be there is some difference between FreeBSD 5.2.1 and 6.1
i have enabled these in kernel:
options         COMPAT_FREEBSD4         # Compatible with FreeBSD4
options         COMPAT_FREEBSD5         # Compatible with FreeBSD5

could someone who has FreeBSD 5.2.1 check if there is some variable in
sysctl for MAC address?
maybe
 >sysctl kern.hostid
 >sysctl -a | grep "some part of MAC address"
or maybe it use kernel.hostid like linux?

Guntis Bumburs wrote:
> No, the registration utility is taken from:
> ftp://ftp.digium.com/pub/asterisk/g729/unsupported/register_utility/freebsd-5.2.1/
>
> I also check the containing of binary and there was a lot of FreeBSD
> mentioned.
>
> for testing i also tried
> linux binaries but they don't work
> output:
> _______
> ELF binary type "0" not known.
> Exec format error. Binary file not executable
> ______
>
> 1. ok, a little cheat to change the binary type:
> brandelf -t FreeBSD ./register32
> brandelf -t FreeBSD ./register64
>
> then the output for is:
> _____
> Bad system call (core dumped)
> _____
>
> It's very unlikely for linux binary to work because linux has
> different MIB naming and if the binary greps some info from ifconfig,
> the output is little diferent from FreeBSD. I have encountered such
> situations with other commercial software
>

> Aaron Seelye wrote:
>> Are you trying to use their linux binaries to register?  They make
>> binaries for FBSD
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Guntis Bumburs" <guntis at rixtel.com>

>>> for Linux is usualy kernel.*
>>> for FreeBSD it's kern.*
>>>
>>> i.e.
>>> kern.hostname: gw.example.com

>>> kern.hostid: 0      (thats default for all my FreeBSD boxes)
>>>
>>> I have found some information in forums (i dont know if it's true)
>>> that kern.hostid varible could be set to MAC address.
>>> kern.hostid type is integer and it's changeable like kern.hostname
>>> and few others ...
>>>

>>> 3.  i converted my MAC from HEX to DEC and put this value to
>>> kern.hostid (sysctl -w kern.hostid=123456...)
>>>
>>> still the same problem :(
>>>
>>> I have no more ideas left. I could only guess witch kern.variable
>>> the registration utility is checking.
>>> For me it's beyond my scope of knowledge and DEAD-END.
>>>
>>> Many thanks for Any information or ideas how to solve this problem.
>>>
>>> info:
>>> ______________________________
>>> registration utility is taken from:
>>> ftp://ftp.digium.com/pub/asterisk/g729/unsupported/register_utility/freebsd-5.2.1/
>>>
>>> Server Info:
>>> hw.machine: amd64
>>> hw.model: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.00GHz
>>> hw.ncpu: 4
>>> hw.machine_arch: amd64
>>> kern.ostype: FreeBSD
>>> kern.osrelease: 6.1-RELEASE-p7